View Journal

Home . Journals

Assessing the Socio-Economic Effects of Electricity Supply on Households in Ojokoro Low-Cost Housing Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria

Olurotimi Sodiya, Volume 3 Issue 2, December 2022 Pages 68-77, Published: 2022-12-09


Electricity supply contributes to the comfort of the households, improves their health, improves their educational level, and enhances their household economy. The study area is Ojokoro Low-Cost Housing Estate, Ojokoro Lagos, and the estate is faced with an epileptic power supply from IKEDC, resulting in the use of alternative power sources. The population of this research comprised the total number of residential flats in the housing estate and a sample size of 370 arrived at with a household size of 5. A probabilistic random sampling without replacement was adopted and relevant data were collected through the use of a structured questionnaire and checklist. The socio-economic data of respondents revealed 63% of the respondents are 50 years and above, and this implies a higher percentage of respondents close to retirement age or have retired. 3 types of power sources are identified in the study area namely, electricity from IKEDC; the use of generators of different capacities; and solar energy from different capacities of solar panels. 91% of the respondents used both the electricity from IKEDC and the generator, while the remaining 9% used solar energy as an additional alternative power supply apart from the generator. The use of generators by respondents has the highest duration of power supply with an average of 56 hours in a week, representing 33% with an average cost of N25, 800 per month. Empirical data on respondents’ satisfaction level of electricity supply revealed a 41% level of satisfaction, but this level should not be considered to be fair, but rather as low because electricity is a basic need for all households’ socio-economic welfare and therefore must be adequate in supply from the IKEDC.